QUOTE (Helge Rasmussen @ 25/07/2010, 18:47)
I just bought the Maddog and finally got it flying
However, I cannot figure out how to use the Flight guidance control panel when the autopilot is on.
RTFM has not really helped me, maybe I am looking the wrong place (I tried treading the Automatic Flight chapter).
I am at level flight with the autopilot on, and now want to
- Climb to a given flight level, or
- Descend to a given flight level, or
- Climb/descend to the FL specified by FMS, or
- Reduce/increase speed to a given speed/mach value.
Sometimes I can get the plane to do what I want, but then I try again, and it doesn't work. I must miss something fundamental.
For instance: I am at FL 350 ALT HLD mode. I enter 33000 as altitude and pull the knob. Then pressing VNAV doesnt work. Prssing ALT HLD doesn't work. Selecting a vertical speed and pressing VERT SPD doesn't work...
Could some kind soul help me out here please? I would love a description of what buttons to press for each of the four cases above, and any description that would help me understand whats going on. A pointer to the relevant documentation would be nice too
You will have this newbie's eternal gratitude, and my passengers will be very happy to get back to the ground
Here is a good link as to some documentation which shows what modes are for what phase of flight.
As for your examples,
1. Reset MCP alt and pull to arm-(will show in orange). Then i hit EPR LIM, this commands the pre-set EPR thrust (CLB,CON-Etc...), OR Reset MCP and arm, then hit Vert SP and dial in what you require-you will have to set speed for this mode in the speed window(SPD SEL). OR, Reset MCP alt-Arm, then change altitude in FMS and hit VNAV.
2. Same as above. Except down so dont hit EPR, hit IAS MACH, this will control your descent speed ( like FL CH in a Boeing).
3. Either do it manually as above or use VNAV, but you will have to plan ahead and adjust the altitude knob in line with your FMC alt restrictions. VNAV is quite a complex subject, I dont really have the time to go into it (nor do i fully understand it ). There are experts out there though, just do some searching.
4. I assume you are in level flight, I use the FMC to control the VNAV side of things, and also the speed VNAV LVL/CLIMB. Open up the cruise page in the FMC and type in any speed you want in place of the ECON speed, or change the CI in PERF page.Press VNAV (this wil show up as FMS SPD).
OR, Just press the SPD SEL or MACH SEL buttons and use the knob to control speed-All with Autothrotle of course!
I hope i have not confused you but answered your question.
One last thing, Make sure the autopilot switch is on! I've been caught out a few times with this during a climbout, wandered why I nearly stalled!!